Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Taking You To Appletopia

I was provided a complimentary copy of this book by Baylor Press. All opinions are still my own (lucky you).


Spending six years and a million dollars (slight exaggeration) in higher education I've read my fair share share of academic books and I actually really enjoy them. They're a refreshing break from the intellectual novels I usually read and leave me wanting to enroll in another class. But fear not my loving husband, I won't bring that upon you. I'll stick to reading on my own instead.

Appletopia by Brett T. Robinson tells of the religious influence on Apple's technology and advertising. Robinson follows the timeline of Apple products, showing how both their designs and marketing were largely impacted by different religious events and figures. Robinson wonderfully describes many of Apple's marketing campaigns, delving below the surface to their hidden imitations and suggestions. Little did I realize that some of my favorite iPod commercials (the white dancing figures on neon backgrounds & the cubicle ad) were full of religious metaphors and undertones. No matter your favorite  Apple product, you'll be intrigued by the message behind that catchy commercial or billboard that made you have to have it on day one. Yes, I am still annoyed that I don't have the coveted gold iPhone.

This book is great for so many types of people... from techies or religious scholars to, of course, Apple fans young and old. While some of the material may seem dense, it is actually a fairly quick and seriously fascinating read. Even if the last thing you read was Drinking & Tweeting, don't be intimidated by a more academic book, it's okay to love both.

BUY



No comments:

Post a Comment