Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Rules of Civility


The Short & Sweet of it: Set in the 1930s in New York City this book follows the lives of three friends that haphazardly meet at a jazz club on New Year's Eve. The author brings the end of the Great Depression to life with vivid imagery and an incredibly compelling main character.

I found this book at one of my favorite local bookstores and bought it based on a staff recommendation.  I am SO happy I did and have since recommended it to many people. Rules of Civility by Amor Towles really had me at hello the cover (how chic does this book look?). Katey, the strong female character, is in a constant search for a brighter future, a higher social status. She soon realizes that all choices have consequences and that fate may play its own part as well.  The roles and dynamics of each friendship evolve throughout, leaving the reader to ponder what their future may hold. This book is why I generally gravitate toward the "emerging author" section in a bookstore- my admiration for this breakout novel nearly guarantees that I will read everything he writes that follows and probably love it. Amor Towles is incredibly gifted and told this story in a way that made me want to grab the closest martini glass, put on some Louis Armstrong and travel back in time to befriend the handsome Tinker Grey. 

read more

2 comments:

  1. Grab your favorite beverage of choice, light the fireplace, get ready to settle in while you read a charming book about friendships, dreams, choices, and circumstances. You won't be disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this one too! Have you read The Chaperone? Or Call Me Zelda? You might like those as well.

    ReplyDelete