Monday, April 28, 2014

The Widow's Guide to Sex and Dating: A Novel


I love me some Radzi (nickname courtesy of Heather Thomson/no we are not yet even on a first name basis). Not only does she make RHONY worth watching, but she keeps me sane while enduring Aviva's delusional wrath. I loved every minute of reading What Remains, so I obviously had to get a copy of this as well.

It is highly unlikely that someone could depict death with some humor and wittiness as well as Ms. Carole Radziwill. While I sympathized with the widow for about five minutes, I was too caught up in the charm to consider the morbidity. And that is what I love about The Widow's Guide to Sex and Dating. We all know how sad, hard, miserable blah blah... death is, so it was a breath of provacative fresh air to make death into a positive, seriously enjoyable read. Bravo (ha, I'm so clever), Carole- I knew you wouldn't let me down! Please keep ghost writing- I need to make sure you still have a storyline to occupy my Tuesday nights.

Publisher's book description:

Claire Byrne is a quirky and glamorous 34-year-old Manhattanite and the wife of a famous, slightly older man. Her husband, Charlie, is a renowned sexologist and writer. Equal parts Alfred Kinsey and Warren Beatty, Charlie is pompous yet charming, supportive yet unfaithful; he’s a firm believer that sex and love can’t coexist for long, and he does little to hide his affairs. Claire’s life with Charlie is an always interesting if not deeply devoted one, until Charlie is struck dead one day on the sidewalk by a falling sculpture ... a Giacometti, no less!

Once a promising young writer, Claire had buried her ambitions to make room for Charlie’s. After his death, she must reinvent herself. Over the course of a year, she sees a shrink (or two), visits an oracle, hires a "botanomanist," enjoys an erotic interlude (or ten), eats too little, drinks too much, dates a hockey player, dates a billionaire, dates an actor (not any actor either, but the handsome movie star every woman in the world fantasizes about dating). As she grieves for Charlie and searches for herself, she comes to realize that she has an opportunity to find something bigger than she had before—maybe even, possibly, love.

BUY

No comments:

Post a Comment