Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Rocket Girl


It's not too often I read a nonfiction book in two sittings- especially one about rocket science. They usually take me a while to get into, and then I really take my time trying to understand the person or event. Welllll, for every rule there is an exception, and this book is mine. I could not put it down. Mary Sherman Morgan traversed her way from the destitute prairies of North Dakota to the launch pad of America's first satellite. Oh, and she never even graduated college. Trying to imagine a feat more seemingly impossible is quite difficult. 

George Morgan told his mother's life story in a very refreshing way. Of course it helped that it was creative nonfiction, and certainly had to be thanks to very poor record keeping, but this book reads very differently compared to similar nonfiction selections. The reader gets glimpses not only of Mary Morgan's life, but also of the lives of many other individuals important to the space age. 

This book is just for science people, right? Oh no, my friend. I am probably one of the least sciencey (I am fully aware that is not a word) people on the planet. My brain prefers literature and only tolerates a math problem here and there. While much of the content is obviously science related (unsymmetrical dimethylhydrazine, anyone?), it's so much more that a "science book." Rocket Girl is a book about an incredible woman, her unmatched talents, and her astounding sense of humility that prevented her story from being told years ago. So, thank you, Mr. Morgan, for outing your inspirational mother.


I got my copy here

No comments:

Post a Comment