Monday, October 28, 2013

Oh Bernadette, I'm So Glad I Found You


The Short & Sweet of it: A mom (Bernadette) with way too much anxiety on her plate is on the brink of a meltdown. Throw in a couple of neurotic PTO mothers, a fiercely loyal daughter, and an overworked husband and you get a deliciously enjoyable read.

So unless you've been living under a rock, you've probably seen Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple somewhere. And that's because it is amazing. I had been in a bit of a reading drought and needed something to get me back in the swing of things, and thank goodness I found Bernadette. I found myself LOLing (literally) from the start, and not every book has that capability. The writing was so clever- hilarious emails make up a large portion of the book- that I never got the least bit bored. Because there are relatively few characters, you really get to know each one and all their quirks. It made me want to have kids just so I can send them to a private school and be frenemies with the other over-involved parents whose lives revolve around the next parent-teacher meeting/fundraising opportunity. Or did I want that before... I can't remember. Regardless, this book made me smile through and through, and what else can a girl ask for?

read more & buy

1 comment:

  1. This book was recommended to me by my "20something" daughter. I thoroughly agree with the above review. The characters are very relatable and remind me of some people I know! I have had kids in both private and public school and so I had fun reading the detailed accounts of parents who are over-involved with little Susie or Jimmy's daily school happenings!
    Parts of the book are hilarious---so much so that I was actually laughing out loud as I started reading it on an airplane and it kept my attention for 3 hours!
    Don't wait--pick up this must-read--whether you are a young adult or a mom of any age....you will immerse yourself in this humorous account of one family's trivial trials and tribulations.
    It is written so uniquely as much of the book is in "email" form---very clever of the author---so....stop watching tv, stop reading the grocery store magazines and settle down with this enjoyable novel--you won't regret it! We are all too busy---but make time for this one!

    ReplyDelete