Friday, June 6, 2014

Shotgun Lovesongs


I may be from California, but my family all hails from the great heartland of Iowa. To me, there is something romantic about open plains, small towns, picket fences, and friendly neighbors, so when I read the intro to Shotgun Lovesongs by Nickolas Butler, I was hooked. Not only did the book satisfy my Midwest fantasies and real-life expectations (there must be a reference to a Lutheran church to guarantee authenticity), but it gave me a slight motivation to move to Wisconsin. I'm serious. 

The novel follows a group of four friends from the small town of Little Wing, Wisconsin. They all handle small-town life differently, and it was easy to identify with aspects of each of the characters. I don't normally enjoy reading books from a variety of character perspectives, but I loved the way he made it flow with no abrupt stops or superfluous backstories. Most importantly though, you can feel the friendship and love, and that is what makes it a great read.

No comments:

Post a Comment