Monday, May 5, 2014

Madam: A Novel of New Orleans


I love going to New Orleans. Yes, the city has its flaws (like having to be thoroughly scrubbed down each morning), but there is really nothing that compares. The food, music, and architecture are just too delicious to resist. Have a Pimms Cup from the Carousel Bar and I promise you'll be back. So when I saw this curious cover at my local bookstore, I gave in. And boy was I in for a ride.

Cari Lynn and Kellie Martin make New Orleans circa 1897 come to LIFE. The people (quite promiscuous people, at that) and locations are so vividly described that I felt as though I were watching from my hotel room (obvs The Ritz on Canal). Although, come to think of it, I wouldn't really want to watch everything, seeing as how this is a novel about madams, but I digress. This was a stunning glimpse into a time when the city was a different place.

This novel is a perfect example of how incredibly NOT boring historical fiction can be. Pull up your stockings, dab on some rose oil, and settle in for a treat (no, not that kind)...

read more & buy 

No comments:

Post a Comment